Village Books is proud of our long history of supporting local authors, and our consignment program for local self-published authors. Listed below are our terms and some important things to keep in mind about the consignment program. If these terms are acceptable, posted below is an Author Agreement Form to be filled out and left on file for each different title (not each book) you will be consigning with us.
1. We are committed to supporting local authors and our local community. Books from outside our community will not be accepted if we feel we cannot sell them successfully. You must receive confirmation from us that we will carry your book before shipping your books to us.
2. Consignment is very labor-intensive: setting up paper records, tracking sales, and managing the inventory must be done individually and by hand. We collect a non-refundable service fee of $25 for each different title (not each book); service fee for local poetry is $10. We offer an Events Package that includes the consignment service fee plus an author event for $79; consignment service fee and local poet event for $59.
3. Our pricing terms follow the book industry standard of 60/40, where 60% of the retail price (set by the author) is payable to the author, and 40% is kept by Village Books.
4. We pay quarterly for book sales, by the end of the month following the regular Accounting Quarter (example: January/February/March is 1st Quarter). Payments for sales are usually mailed by the end of April, July, October, and January.
5. We prefer to stock no more than three to five books for a new title. When we sell these and need more, we will contact you. If you are scheduled for an author presentation, you will be asked to bring more books to sell during your presentation.
6. We review sales performance every three to six months. If, after a minimum three-month trial, we feel sales are too low, we will discontinue carrying your book(s), and ask you to pick them up at the bookstore. Books will be held for pick-up for two months, or until the consignor picks them up (whichever comes first). If the consignor fails to respond at the end of two months, books will be donated to Friends of the Bellingham Library.
7. It is the author’s responsibility to notify us of any changes in mailing or contact information. It is the author’s responsibility to deliver new inventory and pick up any unsold inventory.
If these terms are acceptable, please feel free to drop off a completed, signed agreement form, the service fee, and three to five books at the Used Counter. It usually takes five to 10 days for books to be processed and put out on the shelves. If you should have any specific questions not addressed by these terms, please feel free to contact Claire McElroy-Chesson, Consignment Coordinator, at Claire@villagebooks.com, or Jonica Todd, Consignment Manager, at Jonica@villagebooks.com.
Village Books reserves the right to make any final decisions on accepting a book; if we feel we cannot successfully sell your book, we will notify you within 14 days and hold your books to be picked up.
Please take a moment to read this very helpful article on Advice for Self-Published Authors. Trust us, you'll thank us (and we'll thank you!)